November 20, 2011

DIY Cardboard Deer Taxidermy

Remember when I wrote about the DIY cardboard deer trophy I made? You better remember, it was yesterday. If not, scroll down and review! There will be a pop-quiz at the end of class. Anyway! I made my own by taking a look at a simple and clear tutorial over on Spins & Needles and by looking at the amazing work on Cardboard Safari, then kind of mish-mashing the two. Here's how it turned out:


This may have turned out to be a good looking impersonation of what Cardboard Safari does with their laser cutters, but my hands HURT after this project. The moral of the story is to cough up the $28 for the trophy from them or you'll be coughing up at least that for a hand brace. Your choice.

A few tips if you're going to attempt it:

  • Sharp, sharp, sharp tools!
  • Glue it together on the seems with a white glue that dries clear, but try to keep it hidden as the glue could leave a shine on the dull cardboard surface.
  • Hang these bad boys with push pins. They're usually so light that one or two do the trick and leave tiny holes for those who rent.

Tomorrow's post: 70s Style

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I'm loving deer heads lately. lol - Except the one's my mom's husband hangs in their basement. You did an awesome job (I hate cutting cardboard!)

    I'm your newest follower. It's nice to "e-meet" you! I look forward to seeing more of your creative DIY projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Nice to e-meet you as well! My first joiner that I knew of before my blog! Oh boy! You're famous in my computer :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete