January 30, 2012

DIY Orange Lanterns

Recently I was so impressed to find out that you really can make a candle out of an orange and some cooking oil. No lyin'! I first saw it on Instructables and tried it myself, with a twist. Today I'll show you how to make little orange lanterns!

Step 1) Chop a citrus fruit in half. Oranges are recommended, but I used a mandarin.

Step 2) Slowly release the peel from the fruit, leaving the pith connected to the peel.


Step 3) Remove the green stem from the bottom so the peel sits flat on your surface.

Step 4) You may need to press down a bit to get it to sit flat. You don't want any rolling balls of burning oil on your hands!

Step 5) Fill the peel about half way up the side with olive oil or cooking oil, then trim the pith-wick about 1/4 inch above the top of the oil. You can now light the pith. This may take a bit as it needs to blacken first before it lights.

Step 6) Cut a small hole in the top of the other half of the peel (after removing the meat).

Step 7) Pop on the top.

Step 8) Turn off the lights! Spoooky!

Tomorrow's post: Cary Grant Color Trip Painting

Pin It

9 comments:

  1. is there an orangy smell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, there wasn't. I'm not sure if it was my mandrins or what, but maybe with a different citrus. There was barley a smell at all. Just an orange glow. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks great, i just posted about this project too:http://www.creativejewishmom.com/2012/01/orange-rind-candle-for-tu-bshevat.html
    I even left some fruit on the rind hoping for a nice smell, but there wan't any....And tell me, did you have a problem with the top half burning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. That's why I had to cut a bigger hole in the top, so the heat had some where to go. :) It did not smell great when it burned without the bigger hole.

      Delete
  3. Hey if you fill it with citrus oil will it smell fruity? That would be super cool, please try it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not sure. If citrus oil works like veggie oil does, than it probably would work. If I run across citrus oil I'll try it.

      Delete
  4. Great idea! We made this for an orange-themed event lately and it turned out so great, thank you! I reblogged this project in the exact way that we made it. Lifesaver! :) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete