February 21, 2012

DIY Bib Necklace

I was skeptical of the whole bib necklace phenomenon when it first cropped back up, but today, after DIYing my own version, I see why they have gained popularity. They class up a tee shirt, look great under a jacket or with a button-up shirt. Here's how I made mine.

What you need:
• felt
• about a meter of chain (available at most craft stores)
• ribbon
• sparkly bits (I used some studs from an old purse and gems and beads from an old shirt)
• glue gun and sticks
• scissors
• Mod Podge or other acrylic based sealant

Step 1) I hot glued my sparkly bits to the felt in an arrangement I liked. I did a symmetrical design, but you could do something asymmetrical if you like. I also Mod Podged on the beads in certain areas.

Step 2) Cut around your design.

Step 3) I divided my chain into three sections for each side in equal lengthes. I then wove black ribbon through the outer two lengths of chain and attached it to the necklace by using hot glue to sandwich the chain between a small piece of felt and the underside of the felt my sparkly bits were on.

Step 4) I used the extra ribbon at the end of the chain to tie on the tying ribbon that closes the necklace in the back. I used a small piece of ribbon to cover up where I glued and tied the tying ribbon and the woven ribbon from the chains.

Step 5) Lastly, I painted the whole felt piece with glossy Mod Podge to give it some shine. It actually kind of looks like leather in person.

Enjoy!

Tomorrow's post:  DIY Sea Salt Spray and Beachy Hair

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rose,
    I love your style and ideas! Your blog is the first I have ever subscribed to!! Thank you for your inspiration. I am a mom of two young girls who could use a little more style. I also love that your outfits and ideas are affordable. (I just moved to Oregon- just outside Portland :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! Glad I could be your first. :) Enjoy Portland. I miss it a lot.

      Delete
  2. Glad to do it, Tanya. I'm happy you're tuning in! Enjoy that Portland winter weather! :) No worries, it will be Spring before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, of course!! Love this!
    mom

    ReplyDelete