April 26, 2012

DIY Satin Flower Petals

I'm currently building a really pretty headpiece for my friend Kayla's wedding day and needed to create a flower from satin. Here's how I made the petals and how you can too!

First, to save time, I fold over the satin and roughly cut out a rounded edge triangle.

They always turn out different, which is exactly what you want. Nature is rarely perfect.

I then took a lighter and ran it over the edges for two reasons:

1) It singes the fabric, sealing and smoothing the rough edge and keeping it from ever unravelling.

2) If you do this with the shiny side up, you can use the flame to gently curl the petal as it would be in nature.*

*This takes practice!

gif creatorAbove is how I did it. Stay tuned to see the outcome of the headpiece.

UPDATE: Here's the finished product!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice - can't wait to see it all finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Im finding out from the bride if it's okay to pos the final product or not before her wedding in August. We may have a wait on our hands :) but we'll see.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, me too! I'm very curious about the flower itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I mentioned to Kim above, Im finding out from the bride if it's okay to post the final product or not before her wedding in August. We may have a wait on our hands :) but we'll see. If we have to wait I'll give you some clues.

      Delete
  3. For a more controlled melt, and to help curl the petals inwards slightly: place the fabric over the back of a spoon with just a bit peaking over the edge. Use a flame in a container (a la Yankee candle...a candle in a glass container concentrates the heat more directly upward and is less likely to flicker with sudden drafts) and position the exposed fabric over the hottest part of the flame. The spoon does get hot, so watch your fingers! Different size and shaped spoons do yield. different results.

    Your finally product looked absolutely stunning! What a lucky bride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a great idea! Thanks for the tip and for checking in with my blog. I'll have to use that next time! :)

      Delete