May 30, 2012

Sewing On Art

I had a cold med inspired drawing session, and even though it is an odd piece, I thought I'd take this chance to give you some tips on adding texture to your art with thread.

To begin with, create your piece of art. I started by drawing this guy.
Make sure you use a thick paper so stitches hold tight and don't rip through later.

Add any coloring you want. It's best to use materials that won't smudge when handled later. I used India ink and watercolor.

Once your art is dry you can start adding texture and depth to your piece by adding buttons, stitches, sequins, beads, or anything else that is sewn on.

I added button eyes and used stitches as a means to draw on the artwork.


Try this on your next art project!

4 comments:

  1. this is really cute! i love embroidered art - gives each piece more depth! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much. Do you sell your stuff? You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Dot. Thanks! I do sell some of my work here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/rosejubb

      This piece isn't up yet, but you could always email me an offer and we could work something out. Thanks for the interest!

      Delete